"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, December 10, 2010

Leaving Budapest - Change of Pace

After a wonderful eight days in Budapest, it was time to move on. So, last night I sadly packed my bags, bade farewell to my hostel-mates and boarded a night train to Brasov, Romania.

I had been a little nervous about my night train, because I booked a couchette, which is basically a non-private sleeper compartment. I had horrible visions of being in a crowded compartment full of creepy dudes, trying to stay awake only to discover upon awakening that all of my possessions had been taken. I prepared for this train ride like some people prepare for the apocalypse, complete with elaborate systems of locks and concealment of my stuff.

All my worries were for naught - I think there were only about five people on my entire train car, including the steward, and I had my six bunk compartment completely to myself. I slept on the very top bunk and actually got a decent night's sleep. I was only awoken once, at the border, when I had to get my passport stamped, and also failed to answer the one question they asked me. ("Where are you going?" the border guard asked, and having just been roused from sleep, I couldn't for the life of me recall the name of the city I was headed to. I stared at the guard blankly, who prompted, "Brasov?" and I said, "Yes!" Then he stamped my passport and said, "Thank you. Good night. Sleep tight." and left.)

I arrived in Brasov at around 8:00 AM, in the middle of a blizzard. I ate some pistachios in the train station and then got on the bus to head to my hostel. I only got very slightly lost, but given that the streets here are a total jumble, I consider it a success. I took a short nap at the hostel and then set out to explore the city.

Here is a synagogue: 


A Christmas tree in the main square:


Warmly dressed child chasing pigeons:


Interior of the restaurant where I ate a mid-afternoon meal:


This street gets narrow remarkably quickly:


The quiet was a big change from Budapest, and the fresh snow only made everything seem quieter:


Picturesque skating rink:


Over the next few days, I'm going to use Brasov as my base for some day trips. I am, in fact, in Transylvania, but save your vampire jokes because one of my trips will be out to the castle at Bran, the so-called "Dracula Castle"!

1 comment: