"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Budapest Horse Show - Hooray!!

Today while I was waiting for the subway, my attention was caught by one of the TV screens - there were horses! There was no sound and I couldn't understand any of the words but it looked like an ad for some sort of big horse show. At the end, it flashed up a lot of information in Hungarian, and I tried to commit as much of it as I could to memory but I could only remember one word - "lovas".

I Googled a variety of combinations of "lovas", "horse show", and "budapest" and finally found a random blog in English which gave me a program and the dates. I couldn't believe it - the horse show is this weekend!! (In my head, horse shows are so popular that they would be advertised/sold out months in advance but I guess it makes sense that they would be advertising for it now.) The blog sent me to the official website, which sent me to Hungary's version of Ticketmaster, where I purchased my tickets. The show runs for three days (tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday) but after studying the program I decided to go just Friday and Saturday. The Saturday evening ticket cost nearly as much as the other three (each day has an AM and PM ticket) combined but that's when the FEI Show Jumping World Cup Qualifying round is so I figured I couldn't miss it.

Here are some of the things I am excited about on the program:

  • Children's show jumping
  • Driving team relay races
  • Horseback archery show
  • something labelled "crazy horses from Austria"
  • ...and, of course, lots of show jumping and driving classes
To see a promotional video for this show, try this link: http://en.budapestarena.hu/html/. That's the website of the arena it's being held at and they've got some promotional stuff on there (a really exciting 20 second video) but it probably won't be there in a day or two, so check it out NOW!

I think Budapest is going to be yet another city I wind up staying in longer than originally planned. I now have two full days of horse show, and then I still want to spend some time at the baths, go caving, and of course do some historical Budapest stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment