"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Florence to Tangier Adventure

Whew! What a whirlwind the past few days have been!! I am in the hotel lobby on an unfamiliar keyboard so I will try to relay some of our adventures but will need to wait until later to post a longer entry with photos. Here are bullet points:
  • Mom, Trevor and I had a really fun Christmas, complete with a beautiful Mass and delicious dinner. I caught a train Saturday evening to Rome and took an EasyJet flight out of Rome to come meet Scott in Madrid. I nearly missed my flight, meaning that I am 3 for 3 on crazed, panicky experiences in the Rome airport.
  • Because Scott and I like to make life exciting, we decided not to meet up at our hostel but instead, I waited until he was midflight over the Atlantic and then sent him a clue about a location in Madrid where we were to meet. It was also a race - there were rules about when we could set out for the meeting spot and a required use of public transportation. Even though I wrote the clue, I should have known better than to think I had any hope of beating Scott - he later described how he mapped his route and researched options for public transport with a zeal and attention to detail similar to movie characters planning a heist. He won by about ten minutes. If you are wondering, here is the clue that I sent: "Having some time on my hands while traveling means I've been doing quite a bit of reading. I've been trying to work my way through Paradise Lost but haven't been able to get much further than line 37 in the first book. John Milton, would it have killed you to include some pictures? I need some sort of visual representation of what's happening..."
  • Yesterday, we caught a flight from Madrid to Tangier. Flight delays meant that we spent most of the day in the Madrid airport, killing time by shopping at the Duty Free store, but we eventually made it. The original plan was for us to continue to Chefchaoen yesterday, but getting in late meant that we stayed in Tangier last night and will embark on the 3 hour bus ride to Chefchoaen later this morning.

Okay. This foreign keyboard is slowly causing me to lose my mind so I will wrap this up and write more when I can.

The above sentence typed without searching for the correct keys:
This foreign keyboqrd is slozly cqusing ,e to lose ,y ,ind to I zill zrqp this up qnd zrite ,ore zhen I cqn: The auick borzn fox ju,ped over the lqwy blqck dog:

2 comments:

  1. So you both have Paradis Lost committed to memory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, wouldn't that be impressive!? No, we used the magic of the internet to help! :)

    ReplyDelete