"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Arrival in Budapest!

Today I set out for Budapest. Before I left Munich, I got together with Nomi and we wandered Munich a bit and gathered snacks for my train ride. I'm glad we did! It was supposed to be a seven hour journey but that morphed into nine hours... a long time!

When I finally arrived in Budapest, it was nearly 11 PM. Hungary is not on the Euro, so I knew I'd have to get new money. I was hoping I could buy my Metro pass with a credit card and not have to worry about money until morning. Of course I had no such luck - the Metro ticket machine claimed to take credit cards but it didn't seem to have a credit card reader. So then I went back into the main train station and looked for a currency exchange. There were two, but they were both closed. I saw a lit up sign for "autobank" and thought it might be an ATM but it turned out to be a blank wall.

Then I was approached by a man who brandished a roll of cash and asked, "You need change?" We both sketchily looked around for police and then I said, "Yeah, I do." I still had a subway ride, a transfer, another subway ride, and a walk to the hostel and the longer it took me to get money, the later it would be. Also, how exciting - 10 minutes in Eastern Europe and I was already laundering money!!

He asked how much I wanted and I said, "Just 10 Euros." He told me that 10 Euros would get me 2500 forints. I had looked up the exchange rate but couldn't remember it... but I was pretty confident I was getting ripped off. I smirked at him, trying to imply that I was WELL AWARE he was giving me a terrible exchange rate.
"2500 is no good?" he asked.
"I don't think you're giving me a good deal." I said.
"Where you from?" he suddenly changed the subject.
"Chicago." (For some reason, everyone I have met either has a really positive impression of Chicago, or they only relate it to Al Capone... which gives me street cred.)
"Ahh, okay. 2500 forints - this is your American capitalism!"
"Oh really?"
"Yes. Supply," he gestured to his roll of cash, "and demand!!" he gestured to me and then burst out laughing.

I couldn't help but laugh, and I handed over my 10 euros and he gave me the forints, clapped me on the shoulder, and said, "Welcome to my country!" (To save you all the trouble of looking it up: it wasn't THAT bad an exchange rate - Google says I should have gotten about 2800 forints but for a quasi-legal train station transaction, I'll call this reasonable.)

I used the cash to get a Metro ticket and then hopped on the train. The subway system here is the second oldest in the world (after the London Underground) and I'm pretty sure they've still got some of the original trains running because I think I rode on one.

While I was trying to work out where I needed to go when I transferred trains, a woman approached me and asked if I needed help. In general, people who offer you help in train stations tend to be beggars, so you have to weigh out if you want their help enough to pay for it. The nice thing is, they do tend to tell you correct information, which sometimes is well worth whatever loose change you give them.

Anyway, this woman was NOT a beggar and happened to just be a really nice person who directed me how to get to the other line. I got off at the correct stop and easily found my hostel. It sort of reminds me of my hostel in Marseilles in that it's in a random, slightly sketchy building - but the facility itself is incredibly cosy and secure. As long as I can remember the various keys and codes (there are four) to get from the street into the hostel, I'll be in good shape! I dropped my bags in my room and then watched a few episodes of Flight of the Conchords which was playing on the TV.

Overall, a good first impression of Budapest.

No comments:

Post a Comment