"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

France Relocation

As I mentioned in my last entry, I was struggling a bit in Paris with how expensive things were. Basically, my whole daily budget was being taken up by shelter and noms so I was feeling stressed out every time I spent money on going out and seeing things. It wasn't particularly enjoyable, so I have abandoned Paris for now... until I make my fortune.

I arrived this evening in Marseille! I was torn between here and Nice but research proved that there would probably be more to do around here so here I am! I have only been here a few hours but already I like it a lot! My hostel here is GREAT - the only drawback is that it's in a converted mansion-partment that is a fourth floor walk-up... so lots of stairs! (I just invented the word mansion-partment to accurately describe the facilities. If I say "converted apartment" it sounds small and weird, but this place is gorgeous - think marble floors and vaulted ceilings.)

Anyway, I had a good day today - went to see the cathedral at Chartres and then took a train down here. If you read my Facebook status, you can see that my train ride took a scary turn (I thought dementors were boarding), but I arrived and found the hostel easily. I will update more tomorrow with a few pictures I took at Chartres but I just wanted to update on my location.

OH ALSO, there are supposedly some beautiful coastal walks around here so GET EXCITED for more COASTAL PICTURES... only this time it will be the Mediterranean Sea instead of the Atlantic Ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment