"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, November 26, 2010

Escape from Milan

I am now in Munich - hooray! Hopefully the next few days will be filled with fairy tale castles, Christmas markets, delicious beer, and foods ending in -wurst.

I have a whole entry about my time in Milan, but I think we'll just leave the past in the past and from now on, only refer to the past three days as either "The Milan Fiasco" or "The Milan Debacle".  I had one really good meal there, ate a lot of clementines, and got thrown out of the church while trying to see the Last Supper. Those were the highlights. The lows were having trouble to find a place to stay my first night, somehow hurting my foot and limping around for two days, being unable to get a train ticket ANYWHERE, rain/snow/sleet, being unable to stand still outside the Duomo because as soon as you paused, you were accosted by vendors and beggars, no internet, and a cold hostel. Yes. Debacle indeed.

Anyway, new city and I have high hopes! I'm going to take a walking tour tomorrow and hopefully have time for some Christmas markets, and also I'd like to take a day trip to Nuremberg, and possibly another day trip around the Bavaria countryside to see castles. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment