"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Delicious Eating

One of the biggest differences between this trip and other vacations that I've taken is that I really don't have the budget to eat at restaurants very much. This adds an interesting element to things.

I tried my first Cornish pasty yesterday. (Pasty pronounced to rhyme with "nasty".) Cornish folklore holds that these were invented as filling meals for the coal miners to take down into the mines - they could hold one corner of the crust and eat, then throw away the part that got dirty. I was a little nervous about eating a pasty because I knew turnip was a main ingredient and I don't think I've ever eaten a turnip. But it was so good!! The whole thing was basically like a beef pot pie that you can eat with your hands.

My other culinary success yesterday was making macaroni and cheese from scratch. Since these crazy people don't have Kraft at the grocery stores (what is WRONG with them?), I instead got pasta and a block of sharp ("mature") cheddar cheese. I also used flour, butter, milk and a little bit of white pepper. I made a roux with the flour and butter, then added the milk, and then eventually grated the cheese into it. It worked quite well and I had a delicious creamy cheese sauce. Hahahaha - many people told me that I would have to give up mac and cheese when I went abroad but now my macaroni and cheese powers have only increased! I will have to experience with other types of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment