"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Recent Highlights

A couple days ago, I decided to write a nice long post and sat down with the computer only to discover... that my SD card reader (how I get my pictures off my camera) is not working. I'm taking an "ignore the problem and maybe it will go away" approach to solving this, but sadly no pictures for now. Still, here are some fun things that have been going on in my life:

  • PACKERS WIN THE SUPER BOWL!!! If you think that I would miss the Super Bowl just because I was on a small island off the coast of Thailand, you are incorrect. I woke up at 5:45 - approximately 5 hours earlier than I am usually out of bed these days - and walked to a sports bar which had advertised that they would be showing the Super Bowl. There was a small crowd of other Americans there, mostly college guys, all of whom were for some reason cheering for Pittsburgh. I did befriend a girl from Eau Claire who turned up in an Aaron Rodgers jersey. It was an exciting start to the day, although I wound up needing a long nap in the afternoon, especially since I had been up until 1 AM watching Liverpool v. Chelsea with my British friend.
  • My bungalow has a cat! The first morning in my bungalow, I heard meowing outside and opened the door, and in darted a cat! She jumped up on the bed and went to sleep - it seems that this is her routine no matter who is in the bungalow. I don't know how the owner knew to give me the cat bungalow but I am excited about this. I have a cute picture of the cat passed out on the bed but GAR, can't upload it.
  • I have successfully avoided getting sunburned, which is impressive given how much time I spend in the sun. It's been a diligent operation of constant sunscreen application - I'm telling you all this so that you can adjust your expectations for how tan I will be upon returning home. Yes, I am living on a tropical island. No, my skin cannot be described as anything other than "pasty".
  • Upcoming plans: Soon I will be traveling to Ko Phangan, on the East coast, for the Half Moon Party and a few more days of relaxation. On the 20th, Alexa will be coming to join me and I will meet her in Bangkok!!! Very excited about this, and her arrival will likely spur me into "doing things" rather than having days like yesterday, where my sole accomplishment for the day was going to a used book store and getting a new book.
Hopefully my card reader will magically repair itself soon and I can share with you some of the gorgeous pictures of my life right now!!

3 comments:

  1. I heard you planned on staying somewhere on a retreat. Is this island bungalow it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you don't get charged extra for the use of the cat! You know how hotels can be with all those hidden fees...:o)

    Can't wait to see your photos of this part of the trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can find a computer store, try to get a USB Card Reader. I've used one several times when the built in one failed

    ReplyDelete