"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilization, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Quick Update

After a few lazy days in Budapest, I took a couple overnight trains - one to Bucharest and then the next day/night to Istanbul, where I am now! My train rides were generally uneventful, except that I read the wrong time for the Bucharest to Istanbul train and showed up at the station about five minutes before it was scheduled to leave. This wasn't a problem, except that it resulted in me leaping on an 18 hour train ride without any food, and I hadn't yet that day. (It was around noon). Finally, at nearly 7:00, I was beginning to have those cartoon character hallucinations about random people/objects turning into plates of food, and luckily was able to procure food from one of the stewards. It was the best instant soup and instant mashed potatoes I have ever eaten, and carried me through the rest of the train ride, including disembarking at 2:00 AM at the Turkish border to go through border control. Once I arrived in Istanbul, I gobbled down some McDonald's and headed for my hostel, where I am now. I plan to do some sightseeing and eat lots of Turkish Delight tomorrow!! (Mmmm, Satan's candy...)

1 comment:

  1. I shall promote "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" at the library today, in your honor.

    ReplyDelete